Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm Baaaaaack!!

Did you miss me? Did you think I died? This is what happens when summer vacation comes to a sad end and school (aka. work) starts back up for me. I don't have time to plan out fun and yummy meals, let alone cook them!! However, now that I'm in the swing of things, I hope to have at least one update per week for a while.

Starting us off...Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde. I came across this recipe while searching through other blogs (although, I can't remember where exactly I found this) and it looked pretty tasty. I haven't eaten many meals that include a verde sauce, so this sounded appealing in the "try something new" sense. Plus, it's on the healthier end (adapted from Cooking Light) and I had some cilantro sitting in my fridge that needed to be used up ASAP. I served this alongside some mexican rice - both were fabulous!

As a tip: I prepared the chicken and chopped the veggies/garlic the night before to cut down on prep time tonight.

Sorry my pictures are a little on the craptastic side, but I promise you - they were so good!!




Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (7 oz.) bottle salsa verde
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/3 cup (3 oz.) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
1/2 tsp. chili powder
cilantro sprigs (optional)
cooking spray


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender/food processor; process until smooth.

3. Combine chicken and cream cheese in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa mixture. Reserve remaining salsa mixture.
4. Bring broth to a simmer in a medium skillet. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, add tortilla to pan; cook 10-20 seconds or until moist, turning once. Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels.
5. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up.
6. Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11x7-ince baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repear procedure with remaining tortillas, broth, and chicken mixture.
7. Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco and chili powder.
8. Bake at 425 degrees for 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.


3 comments:

Julie said...

Great post to comeback to us with!!

Julie said...

These look fabulous! They look similar to a recipe I have, except mine takes longer cuz you have to make the salsa verde from scratch. These sound much easier and just as good :)

Sarah said...

Yum! I think these look awesome!!